2010/2011: Scottish Premiership Two



D. Dunn15J. Sole
P. Hilley14J. Pecqueur
R. McClymont13M. Coupar
S. Keenan12I. Berthinussen
S. Lang11S. Atkin
D. Scott10S. Evans
M. Houston9J. Letham
G. Warnock1D. MacLeod
D. Malcolm2M. Liness
J. Low3K. Blyth
R. Jenkins4N. Pike
S. Shearer5G. Campbell
M. Strydom6R. Snape
J. Pinder7A. Lamb
R. Filander8T. Drennan
S. Spowart16S. Jeffers
P. Harkins17J. McSorley
S. Bingham18C. Reid
A. Rushforth19P. Traylor
PinderTrySole (2), Berthinussen, Jeffers
ScottConEvans (3)
Mr K. White (Edinburgh RS)


Briefly, midway in the second half, GHA showed real signs of coming back to snatch victory against Edinburgh Academicals at Braidholm; as they memorably did on Accies last visit in December 2007. Instead, the visitors scored two late tries, grabbing a bonus point.

GHA were left without even the solace of a losing bonus, and their place in the league table is unchanged on the penultimate rung of the ladder. That, though, is still only on alphabetic priority, ahead of Stewart’s Melville.

Accies dominated the first half, though with only two tries to show for that. Jamie Sole scored after 12 minutes on the right after a tapped penalty on the left, and on the half-hour Iain Berthinussen broke through off lineout ball. What looked like being another Edinburgh try was denied by Dominic Dunn’s fine saving tackle in GHA’s left corner.

Stuart Evans converted both tries, the second a ricochet off the far post. But he missed two penalties, and Accies squandered at least four other try-scoring chances with forward passes and knock-ons. Ironically, their third try also should have been chalked off because of a blatant forward pass in the lead-up.

GHA looked like making a swift response to the first try when Patrick Hilley caught the kick-off flying at full tilt. Accies were penalised there, but David Scott missed the kick and a subsequent one. So the home team finished the first half down by 0-14.

However, GHA were much more in the game in the third quarter. Jamie Pinder scored on the left eight minutes into the second half after direct lead-up work by Ryan Jenkins and Morne Strydom.

Scott converted, but he missed another after Evans had eased Accies to 17-7 in 53 minutes. Murray Houston took over the goal-kicking duties after Kenny Blyth had been sin-binned for not rolling away at a breakdown. Accies could count themselves fortunate that the referee’s yellow card was not displayed more often such was their persistence in going off their feet at tackles. A second visitor, Robin Snape, was later sin-binned, but that meant little in the contest as
it was four minutes into added time.

Houston’s goal was GHA’s only benefit while Accies were short-handed, and any hope of a GHA recovery was dashed by late tries by Sole and Scott Jeffers, the latter converted by Evans.

In the final play of the game Scott Lang had the ball over Accies’ line, but even that late consolation was denied by a previous infringement.

Source: Bill McMurtrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *