2011/2012: Scottish Premiership Three



N. Watt15C. Binnie
K. Adams14R. Jericevich
J. Ferguson13H. O’Hare
E. Herkes12A. Henderson (c)
N. Jeffrey11R. O’Keefe
R. King10C. Sorbie
S. Miller9M. Houston
A. Laidlaw1S. Spowart
C. Davies2D. Malcolm
G. Cockburn3S. Fisher
C. Hamilton4M. Anderson
D. Barber5D. Kellock
S. Ward6A. Barnett
S. Gilmour7J. Pinder
G. Paris8P. MacLeod
C. Harrison16I. Nelson
A. Bell17J. Low
G. Dykes18G. Adams
R. Thomas19J. Brogan
Davies, Dykes, Ferguson, ParisTryAnderson, Brogan, Henderson
King (2)Con(Houston (2)
KingPenHouston (2)
Mr C. Reavley


Despite dominating for long periods of this game, GHA conspired to once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory for the third time this season.

Three tries from Mark Anderson, Andrew Henderson and a debut touch down for 18 year old centre John Brogan were not enough to see GHA home as Haddington mounted a final 10 minutes comeback scoring 12 unanswered points to get the win.

The visitors dominated the opening 15 minutes. The Reds defended well, however, and with the visitors contriving to make a hash of a couple of scoring opportunities, escaped this period with a single penalty from GHA scrum half Murray Houston.

GHA continued to pile on the pressure and almost scored again in the corner but the touchline saved the day. The Reds built through the phases before releasing the backs. Ross King timing the pass perfectly to send James Ferguson in under the posts. King added the conversion to put the Reds 7-3 in front.

Haddington were getting a firmer foothold but GHA won scrum ball and after a couple of quick phases scored a well-worked try to go back ahead.

GHA continued to press. From a scrum in the home 22, the visitors crossed for their second try on 30 minutes, which was also converted by Houston to put some daylight between the teams at 7-15.

From the restart, the visitors were penalised for holding on and King stepped up to slot the penalty for a 10-15 half-time score.

After just two minutes of the half GHA picked and went from a scrum in their own 22, but Dan Barber stole and fed Cal Davies, who burst through to score in the corner, tying the scores.

A hard-fought 10 minutes of play ended with GHA making a break from their own half as the Reds missed a first up tackle, and the visitors went the length for a converted try to move in front at 15-22, adding a penalty from Houston moments later.

It was make or break for the Reds but the home side had to weather some real pressure from GHA, who were looking to kill the game. But a penalty against GHA was advanced for back-chat and King stuck the ball in touch deep inside the GHA 22m.

From the lineout, Haddington went through a couple of phases before Barber broke a tackle to find Neil Watt, who in turn found Graeme Dykes to barge over from a few metres out for a trademark try on 67 minutes. King was narrowly off target with the conversion, but the Reds were sensing the win.

Haddington were throwing everting at GHA, who were now playing the defensive role. Eventually the Reds’ patience paid off as the forwards controlled the ball from a quick penalty and eventually no.8 Graham Paris squeezed over for the try that tied the scores on 79 minutes.

There was silence as King lined up the tricky conversion out wide. As the ball sailed through the uprights the home support were jubilant and the visitors looked shell-shocked.

There was just enough time for the restart, which Haddington secured and thumped into touch for a stunning victory. The players turned in their pest performance of the season, giving the club a real lift for the weeks ahead.

Source: Bill McMurtrie & The East Lothian Courier

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *