2010/2011: Scottish Premiership C



G. Taylor15I. Gillies
C. Binnie14A. Tasker
(c) N. Cassie13C. Goodall
A. Rushforth12M. Wallace
B. Wamberg11G. McKenzie
D. Scott10Q. Sanft
M. Houston9C. Harvey
 M. Kidd1J. Brown
D. Malcolm2G. Wallace
J. Low3M. Thomson
I. Smith4D. Turner
S. Shearer5K. Fraser
M. Strydom6M. Harvey
J. Auld7R. Van Rensburg
D. Kellock8C. Wilson
G. Warnock16W. Gray
R. Jenkins17L. Neilson
J. Pinder18S. Mitchell
G. Adams19S. Cairns
Binnie (2), Scott, StrydomTryGray (2), Wilson (2)
Houston (3)ConSanft
Mr G. Gordon (Hillfoots RFC)


Following an excellent Cup victory against Dunfermline, the previous week, GHA were keen to erase the memory of a penalty strewn match at Beveridge Park earlier in the season when Kirkcaldy, ably assisted by Quentin Sanft, ran out comfortable 35 – 20 winners.

GHA welcomed back Ian Smith for his first match of the season, and from the kick off he was
immediately in the action. In 3 minutes, GHA were awarded a penalty and scrum half Murray
Houston made no mistake with the kick, 3 – 0. Soon after, from a line-out maul, Morne Strydom
powered over for a try, converted by Murray Houston 10 – 0.

Kirkcaldy were awarded two penalties in succession but instead of giving Quentin Sanft the
opportunity to open their account, they chose to run the ball and lost possession in resulting rucks.

Within the space of 5 minutes, GHA scored two well taken tries by David Scott and Chris Binnie but Murray Houston was unable to add to the points from Scott’s try but his next attempt was successful and the scoreline moved to 22-0.

As the game moved on, Kirkcaldy seemed to realise that they were losing too much possession and Quentin Sanft opened his account with a penalty to bring the score to 22-3. Soon after, the Kirkcaldy number 8,Craig Wilson, who had been threatening in attack for some time, took play well into the GHA half and replacement Willie Gray was on hand to dive over for their first try. Quentin Sanft again demonstrated his kicking ability with a conversion and the score moved to 22-10 and the end of an exciting first half.

HALF TIME: GHA 22 Kirkcaldy 10

Within 5 minutes of the restart, Kirkcaldy kicked a long penalty into the GHA 22 and from the
resulting maul, Craig Wilson was was driven over for a try, but the conversion was unsuccessful, score 22 – 15.

Play moved from end to end and in 20 minutes, Gregg Taylor fielded a long kick, took play to the stand side and then switched the direction of attack to put Chris Binnie in for a well taken try, converted by Houston to bring the score to 29 – 15.

Murray Houston suffered a leg injury and had to leave the field, his place going to full back Gregg Taylor. GHA now had to defend furiously and it was no surprise when Willie Gray forced his way over the line for his second try of the afternoon 29-20. Soon after, Kirkcaldy number 8 Craig Wilson picked up at the back of a 5 metre scrum and ran in unopposed to complete the scoring at 29 – 25.

After such a run-away start to the match, GHA had gradually lost the initiative and injuries to Murray Houston and Morne Strydom seemed to have an unsettling effect. However, in comparison to the previous match at Kirkcaldy, this was a welcome continuation of winning ways and with a home match against Kelso on Saturday 20th November GHA will be looking for a good result to assist in retaining their place in Premier 2 for next season.


GHA “Man of The Match”: Morne Strydom

Source: Bill McMurtrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *