An Andrew Gillman brace helps secure bonus point win at Hills’

Hillhead/Jordanhill 0 GHA 25

Derby matches have a tendency to be tight affairs and form books often get thrown out of the window. That was something GHA were wary of coming into this match against a Hillhead side who had struggled early season but who had pushed some quality sides close in more recent weeks. On the day, whilst the result was never really in doubt, Hillhead battled tirelessly throughout and showed the kind of grit and determination that GHA new to expect from the Hughenden club led by former GHA head coach Bill MacDonald.

The weather in the pre-match warm-up was crisp and dry however as the teams ran out onto the field the rain began to fall as it would continue to do for the entire 80 minutes.

GHA started strongly and an early score from Andrew Gillman defied the conditions as some excellent handling from the backs switched the ball left and then right from a lineout to give the GHA full back a clear run at the line from just outside the 22. However, that proved to be a rare moment of clinical back play as the conditions began to worsen – as did the skill level.

GHA’s second score was a typical powerful finish from left wing Euan Greer who is fast becoming GHA’s go to weapon from 5 to 10 metres out. GHA’s Mr. versatile, Alan Auld, starting at 12 on this occasion, made a neat outside break before giving the ball to Greer who burst through the two cover tacklers to finish in the left hand corner.

Stand off Andrew Goudie, who was given the kicking duties for the afternoon, also slotted a penalty to give GHA a 13 to nil half time lead.

The second half was more of the same. GHA had the bulk of the possession and territory however time and time again would be let down by some basic handling errors that killed off a number of promising scoring opportunities. That being said, GHA did score twice more to secure both the win and the bonus point.

Gillman scored his second try on the hour mark when a chip over the top from scrum half Peter Jericevich caught the Hillhead back 3 napping and Gillman raced onto the ball to score in the right hand corner. The final 20 minutes saw wave after wave of GHA attack as the visitors pursued the 4 try bonus point and, with 5 minutes to go, some sustained phase play into the Hillhead 22 was rewarded when substitute centre Chris Binnie bulldozed his way over from close range. Goudie successfully landed the conversion.

GHA now take a 2 week break from league duty before welcoming Dundee HSFP to Braidolm on Saturday the 29th for the final match on the first half of the league programme. Before that however, we welcome unbeaten league leaders Selkirk to Braidholm in the second round of the BT Scottish Cup this Saturday, 15th November. Kick Off at Braidholm is 130pm.

Hillhead/Jordanhill: Rory Harte, Chris Woods, Richie Graham, Dom Gaglione, Craig McLenneghan, David Paterson, Alasdhair McFarlane, Juan Phyfer, Quentin Barracoult, Matthew Royce, Callum Stove, Max Boldart, Mungo Ryan, Dougie Grove (c), Angus Lean – Replacements: Harry Perston, George Stephenson, Craig Bryson, Andrew Gallacher, Conor Ferguson

GHA: Andrew Gillman; Nigel Kelly, Gavin MacDonald, Alan Auld, Euan Greer; Andrew Goudie, Peter Jericevich; Jamie Leslie, Gordon Campbell, Mike Robertson, Adam Barnett, Chris McGeoch, Jamie Auld, Erik Cavan, Paul Harkins (captain) – Replacements: Donald Malcolm, Scott Carson, Grant MacDonald, Chris Binnie, Rangi Jericevich.

Referee: Mr F. Brown

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *