2008/2009: Scottish Premiership Two



C. Inglis15G. Taylor
A. Dodds14R. Jericevich
C. Sangster13N. Cassie
12A. Rushforth
M. Sheen11R. McClymont
R. Coutts10J. Noonan
9A. Gillman
D. Smith1A. McCormick
2J. Coffey
3A. Kelly
M. Gray4A. Williamson
R. Maxton5I. Smith
D. Gemmell6P. Harkins
G. Hawkes7J. Pinder
J. Selfridge8D. Chaney
16G. Warnock
C. McLaughlin17R. Jenkins
 C. McLean18D. Kelllock
S. O’Connor19J. Stephenson
Hawkes, Maxton, O’Connor, SangsterTryCassie, Williamson
Inglis (2)Con
Inglis (2)PenNoonan


Hamilton got revenge for their opening day defeat at Braidholm whilst getting the second half of their Scottish Hydro Electric Premier 2 campaign underway with a vital win over GHA, taking all five available points.

This win was made all the more important after rivals Biggar’s win at Gala on Friday evening. A powerful start by Hamilton saw John Selfridge and Craig Sangster take ball on before Craig Inglis kicked ahead and then got up well to tackle a GHA winger. Richie Maxton secured lineout ball and Craig Inglis crashed through at centre, before Allan Dodds took possession and chipped ahead. Selfridge collected and almost made it to the line, but Maxton arrived in support and crashed over to put Hamilton 5-0 ahead.

With Selfridge making good ground out wide Hamilton were awarded a penalty which Inglis converted for 8-0. Dougie Smith was then injured, with David Gemmell taking over at prop.

GHA got themselves back in the game when Jim Noonan kicked a penalty for 8-3.

Maxton took good lineout ball and Matt Sheen and Matt Gray piled through before the game was halted when punches were thrown on the wing. GHA’s Adam McCormick was yellow-carded, and Inglis kicked the penalty for 11-3.

Hamilton consolidated that lead before the interval when Maxton collected GHA’s kick-off and burst through the middle before feeding Russell Coutts, who made solid progress to the line. The ball was spun out through the backs and Gerry Hawkes collected on the wing, going over in the corner for a 16-3 half-time lead.

Hamilton were still firing on all cylinders at the start of the second half and Chris McLaughlin and Dodds made good ground to keep the pressure on GHA. When Maxton again secured good line-out ball, Coutts burst clear before setting up Craig Sangster for a try which Inglis converted for 23-3.

The Bulls looked well in control at this stage, but GHA began to get back into the game and make good ground through the centre of the field. This eventually paid off for them when Paul Harkin crashed over out wide, reducing the gap to 23-8. And they reduced the deficit to just 10 points when captain Niall Cassie crashed over for 23-13.

However, Hamilton weren’t finished and Craig McLean stole good ball at the tail of the lineout and burst downfield before ball was kicked ahead for Shaun O’Connor to chase down and secure the four-try bonus point. Inglis tacked on the extra points for the final 30-13 score.

Source: The Daily Record, Thursday 27th November 2008

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *