Despite leaving Glasgow at 430pm sharp, a traffic accident during rush hour on the Edinburgh bypass meant that all but 3 of the GHA squad were held up en route to Meggetland and did not make it in time for their first tie against Glasgow Hawks at 618pm. Instead of postponing the game, the tournament officials required the 3 GHA boys present along with 3 players gratefully lent to GHA by Edinburgh University to take to the field against a Hawks side who were also short of a couple of players but had enough to field a side come kick off.   The final result was 28 to 7 to Hawks, effectively consigning GHA to a place in the Plate competition. 

In their 2nd tie, GHA comfortably defeated a Boroughmuir 2nds team who were last minute replacements in GHA’s group after Dalziel were transferred into another group when Cartha were forced to call off late. This win set GHA up for a Plate semi final against home team Boroughmuir. In near darkness thanks to the fading light and a menacing thundercloud which proceeded to burst open on kick off, the two teams slogged it out in a highly competitive match. GHA scored first after some good early pressure put winger Joe Yavala over for the score. Boroughmuir battled back and a crucial score on half time gave them a 10-5 half time lead. GHA made a mistake from the kick off in the second half to give Boroughmuir field position which they eventually capitalised on. Another unforced error followed by a turnover resulted in their 4th. GHA fought to the end though and a final score from Andrew Gillman proved too little too late as Boroughmuir gained revenge for GHA’s victory over them the previous week and went on to win the Plate Final comfortably against Stirling County.

In the Cup competition, a class Samurai outfit were too good for Howe of Fife and ran out comfortable winners.

Many thanks to Edinburgh University for helping us out in our opening match.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *