Braidholm 27 – 22 Hyndland

In a match that eventually could have gone either way, Braidholm hung on to win their second league game 27-22, and take maximum points against a spirited Hyndland side that had also won their previous game.

This was a game that Braidholm could and should have won comfortably, but kept letting Hyndland back into the game and they took every advantage, and nearly clinched a draw/win on the final whistle.

This was a contest between Braidholm’s backs, when they could get the ball and Hyndland’s forwards who were bigger and more street-wise than the Braidholm pack. The game started well for Braidholm and after making several incisions into the Hyndland half, Callum Morrison outsprinted his winger to score close to the posts and Scott Carson converted, 7 – 0. After a pretty even contest Braidholm cleverly moved the ball wide for Callum to score again, unfortunately Carson was unable to convert, 12 – 0. At this point, just before halftime, Braidholm went to sleep, and allowed Hyndland’s forward to trundle over the line for a try which was converted, 12 -7. A half-time score which did not equate to the good play or territory gained by Braidholm in the first 40 minutes.

The second half started in the same vein, as the first half, with Braidholm attacking and after 5 minutes Braidholm was awarded a penalty in front of the posts, ably kicked by Carson, 15 – 7. Hyndland upped the tempo and were rewarded with a penalty of their own which was converted 15 – 10. Braidholm then applied some pressure and from a loose kick from Hyndland’s full back, Euan Greer picked up the ball and ran through the Hyndland defence to score under the posts. Carson converted, 22-10. It was now clear to Hyndland that if they used their bigger forwards they would create some opportunities and from a lineout close to the Braidholm line, one of the props crashed over, and the try was converted, 22 – 17. Braidholm attacked again and debutant Vincent Reilly scored on the right wing, which was not converted, 27 – 17. Back came Hyndland and again one of the big forwards managed to score although it was unclear exactly who had the ball when the referee blew his whistle. This score was unconverted 27 -22. In the last seconds Hyndland forwards again were pressurising Braidholm’s line and were held up by sterling defence. The whistle could not come soon enough, and this spectator was left with virtually no fingernails during the final two minutes and there was a huge sigh of relief when the whistle did come.

Report sent by Braidholm’s Roving Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *