2007/2008: Scottish Cup 5th Round



C. McKeand15J. Wright
M. McKeand14
J. Sifa13
D. Notman12
C. Parker11
M. Thomson10J. Noonan
S. Muir9P. Jericevich
T. Tauroa1
F. Brown2
K. Anderson3
S. Coubrough4A. Williamson
A. Cairns5
E. McAlpine6
J. Wright7A. Boag
E. Manawaiti8
M. Rutherford16
F. Smith17
A. Warnock18
D. Reive19
Parker, Tauroa, WrightTryWright
Parker (2)PenNoonan (2)


Biggar shocked Premiership One strugglers GHA to set up a Scottish Hydro Electric Cup sixth round clash at Premier 2 rivals Musselburgh on March 15. Few pundits gave the Hartree Mill men a chance against the powerful GHA pack but in reality it was quite the opposite, with Biggar perhaps unfortunate not to have scored more tries.

Despite difficult conditions prompting some handling errors by both sides, Biggar took the lead on 10 minutes. Michael McKeand popped the ball inside where it was quickly transferred left via Murray Thomson and Fraser Brown to prop Ted Tauroa, who drove across in the corner for a great score. Craig Parker’s conversion attempt was off-target but Biggar still led 5-0. Stand-off James Noonan responded with a penalty for 5-3.

Early in the game, Biggar lost Ewan McAlpine to an ankle injury and he was replaced by Alan Warnock. With half-time approaching, GHA snatched the lead, as another Noonan penalty put them 6-5 ahead.

However, almost immediately after the second-half restart Parker was on target with a penalty to give Biggar an 8-6 lead. Thomson at stand-off had already put in a confident shift but a series of kicks were causing serious problems for GHA, and only a weak pass prevented Junior Sifa from grabbing another Biggar try. Seconds later, an offside decision denied Warnock a try.

However, Jeff Wright scored shortly afterwards, the flanker getting on the end of a move involving scrum-half Sam Muir and Parker, with the latter pulling his conversion kick wide, leaving Biggar 13-6 up. Muir and Douglas Notman were both denied tries shortly afterwards and a fine burst by Eady Manawaiti could have led to a try but for a dropped pass. It was 26 minutes into the half before Biggar registered another score, with Parker slotting another penalty for 16-6.

But almost directly from the restart a Thomson interception paved the way for an inch-perfect chip over the defence from Muir, giving Parker an opportunity to chase and he crashed over, finishing the game at 21-11.

Source: The Daily Record, Monday 3rd March 2008 & Peebleshire News, Friday 7th March 2008

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *