2011/2012: Scottish Premiership Three



R. O’Keefe15R. Simpson
R. Jericevich14G. McCallum
H. O’Hare13K. Matheson
(c) A. Henderson12G. Duguid
G. Adams11L. Matheson
C. Sorbie10J. Harris
M. Houston9R. Donnachie
S. Spowart1L. Barclay
G. King2S. Baird
S. Fisher3G. Sloan
J. Auld4G. Smith
D. Kellock5K. Watters
A. Barnett6E. Stewart
A. Campbell7C. Lewis
P. MacLeod8C. Simmonds
T. Ritchie16D. Irvine
Z. McIlwham17J. Morrissey
B. Farrell18K. Hughes
C. Binnie19J. Baxendale
O’Hare (2), JericevichTryDonnachie
Houston (2)Con
Houston (3)PenR. Simpson (3)
Mr M. Hose (Edinburgh RS)


A depleted GHA pack led by experienced hooker Glen King who played his first 1st XV game since sustaining a bad leg injury 2 years ago, showed exactly the sort of mettle that is required to get games won in this division.

Despite giving a way a good few kilos up front, the GHA pack were solid in the scrum and the lineout belied the drizzly conditions to secure plenty of good possession on their own ball as well as a number of important steals when Dalziel were throwing in.

GHA started well with some good initial posession but went 3-0 down when they gave away a soft penalty on the 5 minute mark. The response was swift however and a clean lineout take on the Dalziel 40m line was quickly shipped to centre Hefin O’Hare who came on an angled run, bursting through the Dalziel defensive line before rounding the full back to score near the right hand post. Scrum Half Murray Houston converted. This was shortly followed by a Houston penalty to push GHA out to a 10-3 lead.

The Dalziel fly half then put the restart out on the full to give GHA a mid-field scrum. The ball was moved right to O’Hare who made a half break before being hauled down by the Dalziel full back. Quick ball was passed to Adam Barnett up the blind side who’s deft hands released Jericevich down the right wing who outpaced the cover defenders to score in the corner. Conversion was missed.

A penalty a piece before the break put the half time score at 18-6 to GHA.

GHA began the second half in determined fashion however their early pressure was repelled by solid Dalziel defense. GHA’s third try of the day came from a 22m drop out by Dalziel which landed in the hands of O’Hare who darted through a gap in the approaching Dalziel defensive line before busting a tackle from the cover defender to just reach the line. Houston converted for a 25-6 lead.

Dalziel then got themselves back into the game with a well taken try from a turnover just inside their own half. The ball was spun left where GHA were short on numbers and the Dalziel second row made good ground before being tackled. Dalziel then shipped it right to the opposite side of the field and GHA were unable to react quick enough in defense before the Dalziel flanker scored in the corner. The conversion was missed but a Dalziel penalty shortly after put the scores at 25-14 with around 15 minutes to play. But despite some chances for both sides in the closing minutes, only a 3rd Houston penalty of the day was forthcoming to put the final score at 28-14 in favour of the home team.

The biggest cheer of the afternoon came 5 minutes from time when Zander McIlwham entered the fray and with Glen King, Paul MacLeod and Zander in the pack in the dying minutes, observers could be forgiven for thinking they’d entered a time warp when coming through the gates at 3 o’clock!

Source: Bill McMurtrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *