Kelso 8 GHA 28

GHA travelled to Kelso hoping to regain their winning form and maintain 2nd position in what is proving to be an extremely competitive BT National League 1.  The game was heavily influenced by a ferocious gale which blew straight down the field for the full 80 minutes. In the first 40 it was Kelso who had the wind advantage and they kept GHA pinned in their own 22 for much of the opening quarter however GHA’s defence stood firm and a penalty from Kelso fly Half Andrew Skeen was all that the home side had to show for their early endeavour.

GHA went down to 14 on the half hour following the sin binning of Erik Cavan who made his first start for GHA at openside. It was during this period of numerical disadvantage that GHA had their best spell during the first half.  A long period of phase play which started inside GHA’s half saw GHA advance methodically toward the Kelso 22. A break from Chris Binnie looked to have created the opeining however a knock on meant GHA failed to capitalise. From the subsequent passage play however, GHA fielded the Kelso clearance kick and worked their way back into the Kelso 22. A penalty was taken quickly by Andrew Gilman who’s long pass put left wing Euan Greer over for the opening try in the left hand corner. The touchline conversion looked impossible into the wind however GHA’s young stand off Andrew Goudie slotted it in impressive fashion to give GHA a 7 to 3 half time lead.

The second 40 saw GHA pick up where they left off and they almost scored from the kick off when winger Rangi Jericevich raced clear from the GHA 22 only to be stopped on the Kelso 22. The quick ruck ball looked certain to create a try scoring opportunity but the wind had other ideas when it blew the clearing pass of course.

GHA did eventually extend their lead when Paul Harkins crashed over from close range following more good build up work from the visitors.

This was shortly followed by a penalty try as the Kelso scrum came under pressure on their own line.

GHA had the bonus point try in their sites and it eventually came with 5 minutes left on the clock when Jamie Auld crashed over in a near carbon copy of the Harkins try from earlier.

In injury time Kelso gained a consolation score for inside centre Frankie Robson.

This Saturday GHA welcome Biggar to Braidholm, KO 2pm.

Kelso: Murray Hastie, Mark Wilson, Richard Minto, Frankie Robson, Tom Wichary, Andrew Skeen (c), Andy Tait, Chris Keen, Ross Henderson, Alan Frame, Mark Gordon, Callum Rowlandson, Alastair Grieve, Ian Wallace, Gareth Riddell – Replacements: Fraser Howie, Gordon Harkins, Scott Brown, Liam Tait, Kieran Wilkinson

Scorers: T – Robson P – Skeen

GHA: Andrew Gillman;  Rangi Jericevich,  Chris Binnie, Niall Cassie, Euan Greer; Andrew Goudie, Peter Jericevich; Scott Carson, Donald Malcolm (captain), Mike Robertson, Aam Barnett, Chris McGeough, Paul Harkins, Erik Cavan, Grant MacDonald – Replacements: Jamie Leslie, Gordon Campbell,  Jamie Auld, Alan Auld, Gordon Adams.

Scorers: T – J. Auld, Harkins, Greer, Penalty C – Goudie (4)

Referee: Mr M. Adamson (SRU)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *