2012/2013: Scottish Championship A



G. Gemmell15S. Lang
A. Whiteford14R. Jericevich
K. Henderson13A. Auld
S. Hiddleston12A. Henderson (c)
B. Johnstone11T. Jericevich
J. Kerr10C. Sorbie
J. Campion9A. Gillman
S. Graham1M. Kidd
F. Paul2D. Malcolm
A. Prentice3S. Gallacher
S. Kennedy4R. Glen
A. Mather5R. Jenkins
F. Miller6J. Auld
M. McClatchie7P. Harkins
S. Clanachan8G. MacDonald
V. Satala16J. Malcolm
C. Wicks17S. Spowart
M. Smith18D. Kellock
19A. Spowart
Hiddleston (2), Campion, WicksTryJ. Auld, Gillman, R. Jericevich, J. Malcolm
Kerr (2)ConT. Jericevich (3)
Mr D. Edmunds


GHA began the day in 3rd place in the league and finished it in 2nd. Having now played a 3rd of this season’s league fixtures and sill not got out of 2nd gear, that fact is among the few positive outcomes of Saturday’s away loss at Dumfries.

The game started with GHA immediately on the offensive. Unlike in previous weeks, a more patient approach from GHA in the opposition half meant that GHA were able to sustain this pressure for much of the opening 15 minutes. However, there was a lack of width which made the attack very predictable and Dumfries held out well until finally the ball was put through the hands, Fly half Craig Sorbie found a gap before feeding his winger Rangi Jericevich who finished in the corner.

Dumfries came to life and made a number of forays into GHA territory. A line break was stopped within inches of the GHA line and GHA turned it over and proceeded to attack from behind their own line. Second Row Robbie Glen hit it up in mid field and GHA secured the ball. However, with Sorbie involved in the ruck, instead of clearing their lines, GHA spun it and a wayward pass was intercepted by Dumfries inside centre Sam Hiddleston for an easy score.

GHA responded when scrum half Andrew Gillman made a break from the base of a ruck. his darting run saw him round the cover defenders before scoring near the posts.

Dumfries responded once more thanks to some poor GHA defending. A penalty on the GHA metre line was quickly taken and the GHA defenders were caught napping and the try was scored.

Just before half time, GHA scored a 3rd when Jamie Auld barged over from more good pressure on the Dumfries line. Half time score Dumfries 10 GHA 19.

A transformation was taking place, aggressive rucking from Dumfries was putting GHA under pressure, building phases, driving toward the GHA line for scrum half Jonny Campion to score a try much to the dismay of GHA who complained that the player was in an offside position. Jordon Kerr added the conversion and penalty goal shortly afterwards, giving the home side a lead of 20 to 19.

GHA didn’t panic and at last the began to play with some width which they had seemed reluctant to do up to this point. A fantastic break up the left hand side was illegally halted 5 metres from the Dumfries line. GHA took the quick tap and quick recycled ball after the initial hit up saw James Malcolm go over for his first senior score. Tane Jericevich slotted the conversion to give GHA a 26 to 20 lead with a little over 15 minutes remaining.

Dumfries threw everything at GHA and wave after wave was held out until the Dumfries inside centre Hiddleston waltzed through a gaping hole in the GHA line to score under the posts. The conversion by Kerr gave Dumfries a one point lead.

With 5 minutes remaining, GHA had time to come back and with the last play of the game they won a penalty 40 metres out. However, Tane Jericevich’s attempt was slightly wide and Dumfries kicked to touch to end the game.

GHA secured 2 bonus points, one for scoring 4 trys and one for losing by less than 7 points. Results elsewhere meant that this was enough to see them up into 2nd but trailing early pace setters Cartha QP by 7 points.

Next week GHA welcome Falkirk to Braidholm for a crucial game. KO 3pm.

Source: Bill McMurtrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *