Biggar 18 GHA 26

GHA survived the wintry conditions and a tough Biggar challenge to progress to the third Round of the BT Cup where they will face Glasgow Hawks at Anniesland next Saturday (27th Feb, KO 230pm).

GHA played in to a strong gale in the first half which made kicking near impossible and dictated a game plan of ‘running rugby’ which was to prove more than a little tricky in the freezing rain and very soft going underfoot. Despite this, GHA had Biggar under pressure from the kick off and after a sweeping attack broke down near the Biggar line, GHA scored from the subsequent play when the Biggar stand off failed to clear his lines after spilling a pass and and eager James Edgar was their to dot down.

GHA continued to try and move the ball throughout the first period however time and time again a promising attack would break down with a loose pass or knock-on as the conditions made handling difficult.

Biggar scored an opportunist try near the end of the first quarter when they’re right winger Sinclair went over after Graham Jamieson intercepted an offload as GHA counter-attacked from a Biggar kick. They followed this up with two penalties from Richard Peacock and a try from their Douglas Notman who spotted a gap though the middle of a GHA ruck following a line-out maul inside the GHA 22.  Despite a half time deficit, the conditions were such that GHA were still well in the game at the half.

GHA came out of the blocks in the second half with renewed energy and scored a fantastic try soon after the kick off. A break from Edgar was finished off by substitute Andrew Gilman in the left hand corner to make the score 18-12.

GHA took the lead soon after when another attacking phase was finished off by stand off Andrew Goudie who scythed through a gap to score a well worked try. Peter Jericevich nailed the conversion to give GHA a narrow 19-18 lead.

The ever dangerous Edgar then set up GHA’s 4th. The ball was spread from right to left off of a GHA scrum and Edgar broke up the left hand side before cutting back in to beat two cover defenders and then pass to right wing Rang Jericevich who finished off. Peter Jericevich converted to give GHA 26-18 lead.

Biggar through everything at GHA in the final quarter but with the wind in GHA’s favour and with the pitch looking more like a ploughed field than a sports field at this point, GHA were able to see out the win by keeping the home team pinned in their own half.

On a more disappointing note, stand-off Andrew Goudie suffered a hand fracture which looks set to keep him out for the rest of the season.

Biggar: 1. Donald Voas, 2, Ewan Stewart, 3. Craig Bacherzewski, 4. Dan O’Connell, 5. Andrew Peacock, 6. Alan Warnock, 7. Douglas Notman, 8. Karetai Paul-Williams, 9. David MacArthur, 10. Aird Jardine, 11. Alistair Sinclair, 12. Graham Jamieson, 13. Robbie Lavery, 14. Craig McDonald, 15. Richard Peacock – Reserves: 16. Paul Davidson, 17. Stevie Campbell, 18. James Barr, 19. Tom Steele, 20. Andrew Orr

Scorers: T – Notman, Sinclair C – Peacock P – Peacock (2)

GHA: 1. Tony Brogan, 2. Erik Cavan, 3. Michael Fox, 4. Adam Barnett, 5. Jonathan Lyons, 6. Robert McKinstray, 7. Paul Harkins, 8. Grant Macdonald, 9. Peter Jericevich, 10. Andrew Goudie, 11. Alan Douglas Auld, 12. Andy Henderson (c), 13. James Edgar, 14. Rangi Jericevich, 15. Bruce Sorbie – Reserves: 16. Michael Scott, 17. Lyall Archer, 18. Chris McGeough, 19. Andrew Gillman, 20. Zé Abrantes

Scorers: T – Edgar, Gillman, Goudie, R. Jericevich C – P. Jericevich (3)

Referee: Mr J. Shaw (West RS)

Photo: Nigel Pacey, Carluke Gazette

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *