2010/2011: Scottish Premiership C



E. Scott15R. McClymont
G. Young14R. Jericevich
R. Hogg13N. Cassie (c)
G. Hill12A. Rushforth
L. Young11R. Hughes
C. Laidlaw10D. Dunn
R. Goodfellow9S. Mathieson
R. Ferguson1M. Kidd
Da. Grieve2D. Malcolm
A. Croitoru3J. Low
P. Hill4R. Jenkins
N. Cook5S. Shearer
M. Weekley6J. Auld
D. Gillespie7J. Pinder
S. Laidlaw8D. Kellock
S. Raeburn16G. Warnock
G. Ramsay17E. MacLeod
Do. Grieve18B. Wamberg
D. Gobby19R. O’Keefe
Goodfellow (2)Try
Mr K. White (Edinburgh RS)


As the windscreen wipers were blown away on the team bus heading towards Jedburgh, so the GHA challenge was blown away by a workmanlike performance from the Jed team.

In terrible conditions of wind and rain the GHA team kicked off to the right of the stand side and
immediately put the home side on the defensive. Jed managed to clear the kick off with a well judged punt into the wind for a line out on half way. From the line out, Jed were awarded a penalty but in the conditions were unable to gain much ground. On a yielding pitch, both sides were struggling to sustain pressure. Jed were forced to clear their lines following attacks, particularly by Rushforth but infringements on the ground allowed Jed to profit from a succession of penalties. With the wind in their favour, GHA kept Jed pinned inside their own half and it seemed to the visiting support that it was only a matter of time before GHA opened the scoring. However after 30 minutes play, the Jed team managed to stem the onslaught and following an attacking move from the halfway line, Ross Goodfellow collected a pass and raced in for the first try. The conversion by Chris Laidlaw was unsuccessful. Jed 5 GHA 0

From the kick off, Jed again attacked the GHA line and only stout defence prevented another Jed score. Although GHA were more than holding their own particularly in the scrum, they were finding it difficult to counter the wheel and lost possession and position on several occasions. Just before half time Ross McClymont had a good attacking run but lost his footing on the treacherous surface. Half-Time: Jed 5 GHA 0

Euan Angus MacLeod replaced Jamie Auld as Jed started the second half with a long kick to the GHA line and following a series of rucks, Ross Goodfellow was able to ground the ball for his second try. Jed 10 GHA 0

Again, Chris Laidlaw was wide with the conversion attempt. Some indiscipline in the Jed ranks saw the referee issue yellow cards to two Jed players but despite the numerical advantage, GHA were unable to make any change to the scoring.

Donald Malcolm was prominent in the loose and carried the ball on several occasions but lacked support when he was brought to ground. The game continued from end to end but neither side looked able to add to the score and at no-side, Jed walked off deserved winners.

Despite the disappointing result, GHA have a number of extremely talented young players and with encouragement, it is certain that success will come but with so few League fixtures remaining, the team must quickly return to winning ways to avoid the seeming inevitable threat of relegation. Full-Time: Jed 10 GHA 0

Source: Bill McMurtrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *