2013/2014: Scottish National League



S. Lang15R. Cairns
R. Jericevich14R. Bradford
H. O’Hare13A. Cox
(c) A. Henderson12S. Wilson
J. Couper11J. Edmunds
D. Dunn10D. Reekie
M. Houston9S. Johnson
S. Carson1R. Wilson
G. King2C. Davies
S. Fisher3J. Latta
R. Glen4T. Docherty
J. Auld5T. Sutton
P. Harkins6J. Hare
A. Auld7N. Rodger
G. MacDonald8A. Rose (c)
M. Kidd16C. Taylor
M. Fox17A. Wallace
D. Larkin18J. Scott
J. Plumridge19J. Adams
G. Adams20M. Hare
Couper, O’HareTryCairns (2), Bradford, Sutton
HoustonPenReekie (2)
Mr D. Shaw


Despite a determined second half effort that saw GHA trailing by only a point with barely 15 minutes remaining, Boroughmuir showed why they are the league’s top side with two late scores that put the game out of reach.

GHA started in all to familiar fashion, on the back foot, as Boroughmuir stretched out to an 11-0. The visitors benefited from early possession, and the backs took the ball up thanks to a well-worked overlap with Jordan Edmunds coming in. This resulted into an unconverted try by Ross Bradford only 2 minutes into the game. The Meggetland men held on to the ball and cut through the defence several times with breaks by Cal Davies, Stevie Wilson and Alex Cox. These good efforts in attacks were rewarded by a penalty, successfully kicked by David Reekie. Then, GHA briefly had possession of the ball and created dangerous opportunities thanks to a few clever kicks, but Muir soon regained possession. There were strong passages of play, with good takes in lineouts by Neil Rodger and good hits by Andy Rose, but it was sometimes a bit difficult because of the wet conditions, and the home defence was very tight. Boroughmuir eventually gained a penalty after an excellent break by Andy Rose, allowing Reekie to add 3 more points to the scoreboard.

The home side replied with good go-forward play by the forwards and a fine line break by James Couper on the left wing. However, Boroughmuir put a lot of pressure in defence, and Jordan Edmunds received the ball back from a GHA clearance kick. He passed to Robert Cairns who raced away. Then the forwards were in with an impressive maul, and Trent Sutton concluded the action with an unconverted try.

GHA reacted with an unconverted try near the end of the first half, scored by James Couper after breaks by Scott Carson and Murray Houston. Muir replied with another strong maul that went more than 10 meters forward and a clever pick up by Sam Johnson, but unfortunately the ball was just knocked on.

Half time: GHA 5 Boroughmuir 16.

The second half started with GHA immediately in the ascendancy. However, after 10 minutes of solid pressure from the home side, only a penalty from Houston was to come to bring GHA within 8. As the game ebbed and flowed, Couper was sin binned for an infringement at a crucial juncture. However, a man down, it was GHA who capitalised after Andy Henderson pounced on a loose ball on the half way, broke clear and then executed a deft grubber for centre partner Hefin O’Hare to run onto and score in the left hand corner. Scott Lang converted from the touch line to bring the score to 16 to 15 in favour of the visitors.

With a full 7 minutes still left on the sin bin, Boroughmuir took full advantage of the extra man, stretching the GHA defense from right to left before their full back Robert Cairns ran a short line from a ruck on the GHA 5 metre line to score near the posts. David Reekie added the conversion. As GHA pushed for a response, the game grew increasingly loose as both teams tired from the physical encounter. In the dying moments it was Boroughmuir who capped off the win with a 4 try bonus point as the full back scored in similar fashion to his first. There were good attempts in attack from GHA at the end of the game, but the Muir defence held on until the final whistle.

Boroughmuir Captain Andy Rose commented:

“The game was quite physical; they had strong runners and a tight defence. It is good to come away with the win; there was a bit of frustration at times, but we got away with it which shows the maturity of the team”.

Overall this was a battling performance from GHA against a side who came into the game unbeaten and look stick ons for the league title.  GHA travel to Stewarts’ Melville next week as the second half of the season gets underway.

Source: Bill McMurtrie & Boroughmuir Rugby, Monday 21st October 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *