2013/2014: Scottish National League



F. Harkness15S. Lang
S. Hendrie14R. Jericevich
R. Nixon13H. O’Hare
L. Kibble12A. Henderson (c)
R. Banks11J. Couper
G. Craig10N. Cassie
M. Davies9M. Houston
G. Patterson1S. Carson
J. Bett2R. Wilson
C. Graur3S. Fisher
R. Fluhler4R. Glen
(c) A. Renwick5D. Larkin
R. Crockatt6P. Harkins
A. Duckett7A. Auld
M. Kissick8G. MacDonald
R. Wilson16M. Kidd
G. Turner17J. White
L. MacLennan18R. Jenkins
C. Marshall19D. Dunn
E. MacDougall20C. Binnie
Harkness (3), Duckett (2), Kibble, Marshall, PattersonTryFisher, O’Hare
Banks (5)Con
Mr C. Rudkin (Hawick RFC)


Any hope of a GHA league run were brought back to earth yet again with a heavy defeat by Selkirk at Phillipshaugh.

It was the visitors who put the first points on the board in the seventh minute, when prop Sean Fisher was propelled over the line by his fellow forwards for a classic rolling maul try after a penalty had been kicked to the home five-metre line. Scott Lang’s conversion attempt drifted wide.

Selkirk cut the deficit with a Rory Banks penalty, and soon afterwards a Ross Nixon burst up the left flank took play deep into GHA territory. A line-out steal by skipper Andrew Renwick allowed the Souters to maintain the pressure and, on the 17-minute mark, Harkness scored the first of his tries following good lead-up work by Renwick and Ricky Fluhler. Banks’ conversion put Selkirk 10-5 ahead.

It looked as though Selkirk had scored again when Gavin Craig stretched to touch down the ball after being tackled just short of the line, but on the advice of the touch-judge the home fly-half was deemed to have knocked on and the try was disallowed. A yellow card shown to GHA loosehead Scott Carson for handling in the ruck saw Selkirk’s pack take immediate advantage, with Renwick once again securing choice line-out possession to release Duckett, who needed no second invitation to barrel over for a try.

GHA cut the deficit to 15-10 following a fine diagonal run by wing-forward Alan Auld, whose off-load to strong-running ex-Glasgow Warriors pro. player Heflin O’Hare saw the centre sprint over for a try in the right-hand corner.

Selkirk restored their 10-point advantage on the stroke of halftime when Mat Kissick linked up with Lewis MacLennan and Cata Graur. Quick ruck ball saw Craig cleverly change the direction of attack, and Harkness was up in support to sprint clear for his second try of the afternoon.

Half-Time: Selkirk 20, GHA 10.

The Glasgow visitors threw everything at Selkirk in the opening minutes of the second half, but a well-judged take and counter-attack by Matt Kissick took play back into GHA territory. In a carbon copy of the city side’s opening score, Gordon Patterson emerged as Selkirk’s try scorer from the bottom of a well-executed rolling maul, sparked by Fluhler’s clean line-out catch.

Harkness completed his hat-trick of tries on the 53-minute mark, and thereafter scores came at regular intervals from Callum Marshall (the result of a finely floated pass from Gavin Craig to Scott Hendrie), Angus Duckett (created by Harkness’ initial burst and a mazy run by Marshall) and Lee Kibble (sparked by a fiery touchline burst from the irrepressible Duckett ). Rory Banks added four conversions to push the final scoreline past the 50-point mark.

Source: Selkirk RFC, Monday 18th November 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *