2005/2006: Scottish Premiership Two



 K. Eddy15
 R. Watson14N. Trotter
 R. West13
 N. Cassie11
10M. McCreath
P. Johnstone9
4G. Riddell
 L. Hazelton6G. Watson
J. Fitzpatrick7D. Gilchrist
8G. Holborn
Hazelton (2), Watson (2), Cassie, Eddy, WestTryHolborn (2), Gilchrist, Trotter
Johnstone (2)Con


A series of defensive errors by the Berwick side proved very costly in this high scoring game played at Braidholm in southern Glasgow on Saturday.

Once again, Berwick started very sluggishly and the home side went ahead after only three minutes through a try by Ross West and a further mere three minutes had elapsed before left-wing Rory Watson went over for another try to put the Berwick side 10 points down and reeling on the back foot.

However, they recovered and the Berwick forwards were starting to dominate their opposition and it was unfortunate that when a clearance kick by the GHA defence was charged down by Gareth Riddell that the Berwick player knocked on over the line and the scoring chance was lost. GHA went further ahead after seventeen minutes when full-back Kieran Eddy strolled through the middle of the Berwick defence to touch down under the posts giving Paul Johnstone a simple conversion.

The Berwick forwards then showed their supremacy and from a line out they controlled the ball to allow young David Gilchrist to go over for his first score for the First XV. Regrettably the concentration levels dropped and within a few minutes the GHA left-winger Niall Cassie had gone over for a try converted by Johnstone.

Berwick replied almost immediately, when good handling in the backs sent Nathan Trotter over in the corner for his debut try for the First XV. Berwick continued their fight back in this half and were rewarded on the stroke of half-time when captain, Gary Holborn went over for a try from another forward drive at a line out. This gave a half-time score of 24-15 in favour of the home side but the general feeling was that the Berwick forwards could produce enough quality ball to allow their side to go on and win the match.

A Mathew McCreath penalty after thirteen minutes was a just reward for a period of good pressure by the visitors but unfortunately a lack of concentration at a scrum in the midfield allowed the GHA flanker, Lewis Hazelton to pick up a loose ball and stroll over for a try. This lack of contration continued as the kick from the restart was collected by GHA and they went straight back up the field for Lewis Hazelton to go over for another try. Within minutes Rory Watson had added a second try to his own personal tally leaving Berwick condeding three tries within a four minute spell.

The Berwick flanker Graham Watson, was then the victim of one of the most vicious acts of foul play ever witnessed by this reporter, and it resulted in the GHA flanker, John Fitzpatrick being immediately dispatched from the field of play. Despite this horrendous incident the Berwick side continued to play out the game and were rewarded when a good passage of play produced a three man overlap on the right hand side of the park and allowed Gary Holborn to go over for his second try of the day.

Once again the Berwick side travelled home knowing full well that this was a game which they could have won and with the correction of the defensive errors and ensuring that concentration is maintained for eighty minutes they should be confident of obtaining the victories they deserve to catapult them up the table.

Source: The Berwick Advertiser, Thursday 29th September 2005

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *