2006/2007: Scottish Premiership Two



M. Dunn15C. Goudie
14R. Borthwick
I. Kennedy13D. McCall
A. Bulloch12M. Allan
11J. Gordon
J. Noonan10N. Wood
A. Miller9S. Ker
J. Welsh1S. MacKenzie
D. Ziolo2S. McMurchy
A. Kelly3A. Statham
G. Williamson4S. Brewster
A. Williamson5A. Clarke
G. Harkness6S. Dalgleish
 S. Kearns7L. Calder
A. Rennick8S. Clark (c)
16S. Goudie
17P. McLean
18J. Constable
19P. Hendry
Kearns, WilliamsonTryBorthwick, Kerr
Noonan (2)Con
Noonan (2)PenBorthwick
R. MacKinnon (East Kilbride)


GHA move into third spot after a 20-13 win against Stewart’s Melville which saw them come from 3-0 down at half time.

Although Stew Mel were under pressure in the scrum from a heavy home pack, they rucked efficiently and excelled at lineout. The visitors took the lead on 12 minutes when Richard Borthwick converted a penalty goal which was awarded for a high tackle in the midfield. During the opening quarter of the game, the Edinburgh side had the better of the possession and territory as the home team struggled to clear its lines. The pressure on GHA was, however, partially relieved after around 25 minutes when Sean Mackenzie was sent to the sin bin for rucking out a player who was attempting to slow the ball at a breakdown. For the following ten minutes the Stew Mel forwards battled hard, their opponents failing to take advantage of their extra man.

Stew Mel started the second half strongly, when Jed Gordon broke down the left wing and with quickly recycled ball, scrum half Stuart Ker scored in the opposite corner. The conversion was missed and store was now 8-0. A lapse of concentration then allowed GHA to narrow the gap through a Noonan penalty goal, and, five minutes later, a further 3 points were added when the visitors were penalised for a breakdown infringement close to their own 22.

The Edinburgh side responded well, though, and were soon on the offensive. Borthwick took the lead to 13-6 when he crossed the line to score after some sharp work from Dave McCall. At this stage, it appeared as though the points would be heading to Inverleith, but the visitors cause wasn’t helped when both stand off Nicky Wood and centre Dave McCall were lost to injury in short succession. The home side levelled the scores when an Allan Bulloch break resulted in a converted try on the far side of the pitch for Sean Kearns.

Then, with maybe 15 minutes left on the clock, the home side took the lead for the first time in the match through a further converted try by Andy Williams which followed a kick deep into our 22; GHA 20, Stew Mel 13.

The visitors gallantly fought back strongly, but were hindered by a lack of shape in the midfield, and, despite a sustained period of late pressure, took only a losing bonus point from the match.

Source: The Scotsman & Stewart’s Melville FP RFC, Sunday 1st October 2006

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *