2004/2005: Scottish Premiership One



M. Thomson15R. West
G. Walkinshaw14R. Watson
S. Harrison13A. Bulloch
L. Kinsome12J. Naufahu
C. Sorbie11R. McClymont
Q. Sanft10I. Kennedy
D. Reive9N. MacLeod
E. McLaren1D. Jamieson
M. Rutherford2C. Di Ciacca
J. Edwards3M. Diaz
S. Ward4A. Williamson
A. Cairns5J. Eddie
A. Warnock6L. Hazelton
A. Dunlop7A. Boag
E. Manawaiti8R. Williams
F. Campbell16D. Malcolm
A. Yates17I. McKinnon
S. Cunningham18C. Pothan
 A. Browning19
Browning, DunlopTryBulloch, Kennedy
SanftConKennedy (2)
Sanft (3)PenKennedy
Mr G. Wilson (Strathclyde Police)

The improbable odyssey continues. Battling Biggar keep confounding the contemptuous cognoscenti as their fitness, team work, determination, and no little talent, led to yet another dramatic Premiership win. That makes it four out of four for the league’s surprise packet.

Not bad for an unfancied side of whom ebullient coach Gary Parker had said only last week that they had come into this league to enjoy it and that if they kept winning it would be a bonus. Some bonus. Nor has their success been founded on an attritional game. “This was no ten-man rugby,” enthused Parker after this latest pulsating win in which debutante Samoan centre Logan Kirisome was outstanding. “It was a very pleasing performance all round, especially against a huge pack,” echoed fellow coach John Beattie.

On a bright, blustery day GHA were unable to make full use of the wind in the first half, and turned around only 10-5 ahead, a Kennedy penalty and a breakaway try from ex-Scotland man Alan Bulloch, converted by Kennedy, countered by a Biggar try from the hugely impressive flanker Andy Dunlop. With the favouring breeze after half time, Biggar’s territorial advantage began to tell, and two penalties from the talented boot of mercurial Samoan Quintin Sanft saw them take the lead for the first time after an hour. A further Sanft penalty and a fine rampaging try by Alistair Browning after a long pass from the influential Eddie Manawaiti seemed to sew it up at 21-10, but valiant GHA refused to surrender and a jinking Kennedy try which he personally converted reduced the margin on the whistle.

“We fully deserved to win,” reflected Parker. “The scoreline didn’t really represent the game. We had 80 per cent of the possession – but full credit to GHA for withstanding the onslaught. But we continue to remain under no illusions. We have four hard games immediately ahead.” But it was another glorious night of deserved rejoicing at Hartreemill.

Source: The Scotsman, Sunday 19th September 2004

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *