2010/2011: Scottish Premiership Two



D. Dunn15F. Lyle
R. Jericevich14G. Walker
R. McClymont13S. Ryan
A. Rushforth12C. Phillips
R. O’Keefe11J. Curteis
J. Noonan10R. Aloe
M. Houston9J. Lauder
G. Warnock1N. Fraser
S. Bingham2N. Shannon
J. Low3C. McConnachie
R. Jenkins4S. Smith
S. Shearer5M. Faville
M. Strydom6S. Warnock
(c) J. Pinder7T. McGinness
D. Kellock8B. Russell (c)
M. Kidd16A. Dixon
P. Harkins17J. Webb
R. Filander18P. Maughan
B. Farrell19E. Brumwell
HoustonPenAloe (4)
Mr T. Coutts (Watsonians FC)


Although they failed to get the result that they desparately wanted, this was a much improved performance from the GHA men.

Aberdeen started the game well with some early pressure that resulted in two penalties for fly half Aloe. However, despite Aberdeen having the majority of the possession in the early exchanges, the GHA defence was resolute and dealt comfortably with Aberdeen’s attacking phases.

With around 15 minutes on the clock, GHA began to take control and from a GHA scrum just inside the Aberdeen half the ball was spread wide to GHA centre Ross McClymont whose arcing run was only stopped when the Aberdeen full back, left wing and centre combined to hall him down on the 22. This however was to prove a precursor for a similar GHA attack 5 minutes later. This time off of a lineout just inside the GHA half the ball was again shipped to McClymont who ran a similar rout before feeding right win Rangi Jericevich on the outside. Jericevich made a break up the right touch line holding his opposite number at arms length before offloading to Andrew Rushforth who tore into the Aberdeen 22. Rushforth then offloaded to McClymont who was hauled down 10 metres short. Quick ball was spun left and GHA skipper Jamie Pinder came back on the angle, cutting through the Aberdeen defensive line to score. Murray Houston added the conversion to make the score 7-6 to the home side.

The GHA line out struggled all afternoon which was to prove costly in preventing GHA from setting up attacking opportunities and despite being on the front foot a Houston penalty was the only further score in the first 40 minutes to take the half-time score to 10-6 in favour of GHA.

The second period became a frustrating affair for anyone on the GHA side of the fence. Two yellow cards were handed out to McClymont and Pinder meaning that GHA spent 20 minutes of the half with only 14 men. The first to McClymont who was carded for an attmepted interception which the referee deemed a deliberate knock on. The second to Pinder who lashed out at an Aberdeen player who went unpunished for an apparent eye gouging incident against the GHA skipper.

With GHA on the back foot for almost the entire second half due to both the numerical disadvantage and a high penalty count against, the remainder of the game was played almost entirely inside GHA territory. Aberdeen got a try through their captain Billy Russell who broke through 5 metres out from what looked for all money like a forward pass. Aside from this, the GHA defence was resolute and Aberdeen’s significant posession and territorial advantage was only to result in two penalties for Aloe.

The final score of 17-10 to Aberdeen meant GHA were at least able to gain a losing bonus point for their efforts but whilst a win would have been preferred, if the heart and desire shown by the home team is continued it will surely be rewarded with some wins in the coming weeks.

Source: Bill McMurtrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *