2004/2005: Scottish Premiership One



B. Edgar15M. Adamson
R. Watson14S. Low
A. Bulloch13A. MacLay
R. West12S. Duffy
A. Rushforth11W. Henry
I. Leighton10M. Strang
AJ. MacFarlane9K. Sinclair
D. Jamieson1E. Milligan
C. Di Ciacca2M. Smith
A. Reekie3P. Dalton
A. Williamson4S. Begley
I. Smith5R. Maxton
G. Harkness6N. McKenzie
C. Forrester7G. Francis
J. Mathieson8M. Sitch
D. Malcolm16D. Monaghan
G. Walsh17S. Forrest
A. Boag18S. Warnock
G. Fisher19R. McKnight
Rushforth, WalshTryHenry (2), Begley, Sinclair, Smith
EdgarConStrang (2)
Edgar (3)Pen
 Mr M. Hall (Boroughmuir)

The death knell has finally sounded for GHA’s Premiere One sojourn. A spirited second-half fightback against recrowned champions Hawks only just failed, and coupled with Watsonians’ win at Hawick, the defeat consigned the gallant Braidholm men to Division Two. Tantalisingly, survival was so close – and none would have deserved that reprieve more than engaging GHA coach David Wilson – but that recent capitulation to Currie ultimately proved decisive.

Desperate GHA dominated the opening exchanges and were heartened by a hat-trick of Barry Edgar penalties within seven minutes. Then came arguably the game’s pivotal moment on 20 minutes, when GHA lock Andy Williamson was harshly yellow-carded by referee Mike Hall for killing the ball. Hawks’ heavier pack took full advantage with two quickfire tries, hooker Matt Smith rumbling over and scrum-half Kenny Sinclair nipping in after another huge Hawks’ push.

Stunned GHA conceded a third try just on half-time as Hawks worked the ball along the line for winger Wes Henry to touch down in the corner. Adrift 17-9 at half time, GHA looked doomed and further depression ensued after 48 minutes when Hawks prop Steve Begley drove over after a quickly taken penalty to make it 22-9.

However, redoubtable GHA refused to buckle, and winger Andrew Rushforth raced in on the left in 54 minutes after a fine run by Scotland Under-21 scrum half A J McFarlane. Rushforth was again instrumental in 66 minutes when his blistering run set up a try for prop Gavin Walsh, reducing the leeway to 21-22.

GHA pounded Hawks for the final quarter but eventually, in stoppage time, Hawks broke away for Henry to add his second try, and Murray Strang to add insult to injury by converting and depriving GHA of even a richly deserved bonus point.

Hawks coach Peter Wright was magnanimous: “They fought well and played fine rugby. They will be a major loss to Premier One.”

Source: The Scotsman, Sunday 24th April 2005

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *